Thursday 15 February 2018

Grandma’s way of doing grocery shopping online! Must-Read

Teaching my grandma to use a Smartphone and do grocery shopping online made her a fan of YouTube! Yes, that’s what happened and I am happy for it because now I know that she has something more to spend time with, at least for the time being, when we are not home! Well, I lost my mom when I was 9 years old and since then it’s only us, me, my dad and grandma.

Sometimes older people can be utterly funny and they can come up with some of the most hilarious excuses that even kids don’t even come up with! Recently her online grocery shopping hype bought us a water purifier! Well, that was just the beginning!

My Grandma Never Loved Traveling!

To her, traveling is an unnecessary wastage of money! Did you ever hear something like that? I’m sure you haven’t. But you can’t leave the possibilities out, isn’t it! My grandma is a big fan of wine, operas and TV! That has always been her life and she still does that. To her traveling means, going for a morning walk or an evening walk! That’s her regular routine.



Now, coming to groceries, she either sends me or my dad to get the supplies. But her biggest concern was, we won’t get the right products. Now, who on earth will mistakenly purchase a brand that has never been bought before! But, my grandma had always new brands in mind and the TV advertisements were her greatest boost! She will watch an ad and then ask me to get it. If I am off to college, dad had to get it for her! If, by chance, we would ask her to join us to the super market, then it would be one heck of a chaos with her universal statement always coming through on our face, “You know, I do not want to travel!”

Oh, if by chance I said, that I once did, “come on grandma, this is not unnecessary traveling, she would just frown and say, “Do you want your poor old lady to take all the stress!”

Needed A Way Out Of It!

My grandma is 56 years old and she is not fond of friends. She is a self taught woman with deeper perception of things that probably you and I might not get! My grandpa is still alive and living in France, but with another lady. After that, my grandma shut herself off!

My dad said one day, “Let’s gift grandma a Smartphone.” Well that was the biggest achievement that our family ever experienced. The day my dad bought it, I took a day off from college and taught her the basics. For the next month, I used to skip my evening studies and make her used to the applications, the options and how to find things online. Once I said, “Grandma, the TV ads you watch, they are all available on the internet! She was eager to see and I turned on YouTube! From that day, she became a big fan of it.

As days went by, I made her aware of how to use web browsers. Slowly as her interest grew, she asked me one day, “Can I do grocery shopping online?” “Wow! Did she ask about it so fast?” – I told myself and said, YES, SURE!

Grandma’s Ways Of Finding Things

She learnt to use Google and when she made her first search, I checked the browsing history, and her search term was something like this, “Google, send me a can of Coconut Milk at (she typed in our address). I will pay when you deliver it to me!”

That night, both I and dad burst out laughing reading that and we enjoyed every moment of it. Later, I told her, simply searching ‘grocery shopping online’ can help you get started. You check the results and click on the websites. There you can find your desired products. Then click on the product page, mention the quantity, add it to cart and pay the amount.

That night, while showing her, I ordered a can of Coconut Milk and used my dad’s credit card for paying it. After two days when the package was delivered, she got the confidence and started taking things all by herself.

A Week’s Expense!

She then visited YouTube just to check ads and then go on to Google and search the product. She started well and only on the 6th day of the week, a message came onto my dad’s cellphone “Payment of $2,395 at a grocery store was successful!” My dad thought, she might be ordering a month’s grocery altogether! So he didn’t bother much.

Later on the 3rd day after receiving that message, when the delivery came, I was home. It was a sports meet at college so I came back early. To my utter surprise, the delivery boy came in with a large box wearing a nice big smile on his face! I asked him “What’s that?” He said, “It’s a water ionizer,” and simultaneously my grandma yelled from behind, “Jacky, may be the Alkaline Water Bottles I ordered have arrived!”

Are you in a dilly-dally just the way I was? Well, here’s the funniest part, she searched for ionized water and one of the product images showed an ionizer filling a bottle. She didn’t read much and thought that she is going to receive Alkaline Water filled right from an ionizer. So she ordered it!



While we were not planning to get one right that month, but her early purchase didn’t do any harm at all. If thought on a broader perspective, it was actually a good move! After all purchasing bottles every month would be much costlier in the long run than having an ionizer itself! Our acceptance and encouraging her, gave her a much-needed boost and she started doing grocery shopping online since then without any second thoughts!

Concluding

Her specific and featured brands were now available on the Smartphone’s screen and it saved us from making mistakes! Slowly she is leaping into the digital era and we are glad to find her happier than before. Well, this doesn’t end here. There are more memorable incidents coming up. So,


Stay Tuned, Stay Put And Follow
Stuart Green 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Good Reasons to Choose Eco-Friendly Products for a Greener House

 Creating a green home aka eco-friendly home or using organic food is actually a lot easier than what a lot of people think. The majority of...